Bacon-wrapped pork sosaties paired with Rietvallei Cabernet Sauvignon 2017.
A delicious Saucy Shiraz Sheppard’s Pie divided into small ramekins, a great hearty meal for the whole family.
600g pork neck
Mushrooms cut in half
6 Tbsp BBQ sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Rietvallei Shiraz
1 Tbsp crushed garlic
1 packet of bacon
- Cut the pork off the bone, and then into cube-shaped medium-sized chunks.
- Using your sosatie stick, add the bacon as you will use this to wrap the other ingredients. Then add the pork, fold over with the bacon, add the mushroom, and fold over again, repeat this process until the sosatie stick is full. Use a new piece of bacon for every 3-4 pieces.
- Mix the bbq sauce, soy sauce, red wine, and crushed garlic together.
- While cooking preferably over a braai, baste the sosatie with the marinade every time you turn the meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste Cook for about 20-30min.
We are honoured to have received a Gold award for our Rietvallei Estate 2016 from the globally prestigious Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition (HKIWSC). The HKIWSC is regarded as the most respected wine and spirit competition in Asia.
This year’s, 48 Hong Kong-based judges were charged with triple-blind tasting over 1000 entries, with an additional layer of “blindness” from to judge to judge due to strict distancing measures. We’re pleased that our Rietvallei Estate 2016 received a score of 90+.
Rietvallei’s sixth-generation proprietor and winemaker Kobus Burger was curious to see what distinctive blend might be created from a vintage that was fixed in time and place as if by decree. On the 18th of March 2016, a limited number of cases of grapes were hand-picked from each of Rietvallei’s prize vineyards, roughly in proportion to their acreage on the farm. The grapes were then all fermented together in a single tank and matured for 36 months in 300-litre French oak barrels. After bottling a further 12 months of bottle maturation was allowed before final packaging and release.
This complex blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Petit Verdot, Tinta Barocca, Cinsault, Roobernet, and Cabernet Franc is truly a unique wine, representing all that is Rietvallei Estate. To place your order for our award-winning Rietvallei Estate 2016, please visit our online shop https://rietvallei.co.za/product/estate-2016/
#rietvalleiwines #rietvalleiawards #HKIWSC
We are happy to announce that both our Rietvallei JMB Chardonnay 2019 & Rietvallei Shiraz 2018 has received gold medals at the 2020 Veritas Awards.
Synonymous with excellence in wine and brandy, the Veritas Awards is the longest running and most prestigious wine and brandy competition in South Africa, dating back to 1991. In addition to the two Gold medals we also received two Silver Outstanding, seven Silver and four Bronze medals.
An overview of the Rietvallei Estate gold medal wines:
The Rietvallei JMB Chardonnay 2019 is a full-bodied, complex wine with excellent fruit and wood- integration. Lots of work in the vineyard and minimal interference in the cellar, allows this wine to express its terroir to the fullest. A complex nose, rich in citrus aromas and complemented by some spicy, toasted oak notes. The palate is rich and creamy, with a mixture of ripe orange, lemon and lime flavours.
The Rietvallei Shiraz 2018 has an intense ruby red colour and expresses flavours of berry fruit, ground pepper spice and peachy fruit. The palate is alive with berry fruit and the peppery, spicy and toasted oak flavours are well- integrated. A full-bodied wine with pleasant ripe tannins and a smooth, lingering aftertaste.
To place your order for the above wines please visit our online shop:
Sheppard’s Pie paired with Rietvallei Cabernet Sauvignon 2016.
A delicious Saucy Red Wine Sheppard’s Pie divided into small ramekins, a great hearty meal for the whole family.
250 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
2 small cauliflowers, cut into florets, about 1 1/2 cups
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp cream
1 Tbsp grainy mustard
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
500 g lean ground beef, or lamb
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, diced small
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1/3 cup Rietvallei Cabernet Sauvignon
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup no-salt beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup grated parmesan, optional
1. Cover potatoes and cauliflower with cold water in a large pot and set over high. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium. Gently boil until tender, 10 to 12 min. Drain and set aside. Melt butter with cream, mustard, 1 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in the same pot over low. Return vegetables to pot and coarsely mash. Set aside.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Crumble in beef, cook until lightly brown, 2 to 3 min. Add onion, garlic, carrot, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook until onion softens, 3 to 4 min.
3. Add wine, cook for 2 min. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture and stir. Add broth, tomato paste, rosemary and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 min. Divide among ramekins. Spoon potato mixture on top. Sprinkle shepherd’s pies with parmesan.
4. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat broiler. Set ramekins on a baking sheet and broil until golden.
Award-winning South African singer-songwriter Coenie de Villiers performed under the stars at the prestigious Rietvallei Wine Estate located in Robertson on the 7th of November 2020.
It was a truly unforgettable night filled with storytelling, piano playing, and singing which included a diverse selection of Coenie’s songs from various albums over the years.
The night was greatly enjoyed and was much needed for many people after lock-down to experience such a great event out under the stars, surrounded by vineyards and the beautiful Robertson mountains.
Caramelized Onions & Goats Cheese Tartlets paired with Rietvallei JMB Cabernet Franc 2016.
These red wine caramelized onion and goats cheese puff pastry tartlets are easy to make, elegant, and simply delicious.
3 onions (thinly sliced)
3 Tbsp olive oil
250 mL Rietvallei Shiraz
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3-4 sprigs thyme leaves
Salt & black pepper to taste
1 Roll frozen puff pastry
200 grams of goat cheese (25g per tartlet)
- Heat the oil in a pan on low heat and fry the onions until softened but not browned, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add ½ the red wine and deglaze the pan, allowing all the liquid to slightly reduce, this takes about 5 min.
3. Add the sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the remainder of the red wine and once again continue cooking and stirring until the liquid has reduced.
5. Place your puff pastry sheets on a floured surface and cut out the circles to the desired size. You could also cut the pastry into 4 x squares. This way you better optimize the pastry sheet with no wastage through offcuts. This recipe makes 8 tartlets that are 8cm in diameter.
6. Score the inside of the pastry with a small cookie cutter or a knife, but don’t cut all the way through, to make a small rim.
7. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and press down on the inner circle piece so that it drops down, it should come away where you have scored it, and fill each pastry case with the caramelized onion.
9. Top with the goat’s cheese (you can either crumble this or cut it into discs), scatter over fresh thyme leaves and return to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.
We are happy to announce that our Rietvallei Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2020 received Top 10 Status in this year’s Sauvignon Blanc Report.
The Sauvignon Blanc Unwooded Report convened by Winemag.co.za and sponsored by Prescient received 115 entries in total. The wines were tasted blind (labels out of sight) by a three-person panel, the scoring was done according to the 100-point scale. The panel consisted of Christian Eedes from Winemag and Roland Peens and James Pietersen, both of Wine Cellar, Cape Town merchants and cellarers of fine wine.
Feedback from the judges:“A hint of reduction before pear, peach and citrus with notes of blossom and fynbos in the background.The palate is lean and fresh with a saline finish – supremely elegant.”
To place your order for this wine please visit our online shop:
#SauvignonBlancReport 2020 #rietvallei
Creamy Lemon Butter Garlic Prawns paired with Rietvallei JMB Chardonnay 2019.
One of the best prawn dishes you’ll ever have, served by itself or over a bed of white rice.
500 g prawns, shelled
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp squeezed lemon juice
60ml Rietvallei Classic Sauvignon Blanc
fresh coriander (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the butter, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice to a pan on medium-high heat, cook for about 1 min.
2. Add the prawns and fry for 2 minutes then add the white wine and deglaze the pan, add the paprika. Stir everything together, cook for about 2 min, turn the prawns around every min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now add the mayo and stir, cook for another 1 min.
3. Remove from pan immediately and transfer to a plate, drizzle over all the sauce from the pan. Sprinkle over some coriander.
Mussels in Creamy Lemongrass Sauce paired with Rietvallei Sauvignon Blanc 2020.
A great seafood dish perfect for summer, the flavours are simple yet complex. Best served with fresh bread and some chopped parsley on top of the mussels
250 ml Rietvallei Classic Sauvignon blanc 2020
1 stick of lemongrass, bruised
1kg fresh mussels per person
1 small onion, chopped
500 ml cream
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1. First you have to clean the mussels by removing the beards and wash the outside of the shell properly to remove any dirt.
2. In a medium-sized pan, fry the onions in the butter, add the lemongrass and lemon juice, now add the cream and bring to a boil for 2-3min, season to taste with salt and pepper, then reduce heat back to a simmer.
3. Separately, take a large pot and put it on high heat with the lid on for 4-5 minutes until smoking hot.
4. Drop all the mussels in the pot, add the wine, put the lid on, and steam until all the mussels open up, remove the ones that have not opened, and discard.
5. Transfer the mussels into the pan containing the sauce, If you like you can add some of the mussel cooking liquid to thin out the sauce.
Smoked Salmon Fold-Overs paired with Estéanna Sauvignon Blanc.
This recipe is always a crowd favourite at wedding or dinner events, it’s easy to make at home and simply delicious, a great dish to impress your friends or family.
200g Sliced smoked salmon
Salt & Pepper
1. Line a sheet pan with Glad Wrap
2. Place the Salmon pieces individually on the sheet pan
3. Cut the avocado finely. Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle salt & pepper over the top to taste
4. Dish the avocado into the centre of the Salmon and fold closed
5. Close the Glad Wrap over and roll it up.
6. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight
When ready to serve, plate the Smoked Salmon Fold-Overs, drizzle with Balsamic reduction and decorate the plates with lemons, baby salad leaves and capers.