Mussels in Creamy Lemongrass Sauce
Mussels in Creamy Lemongrass Sauce paired with Rietvallei Sauvignon Blanc 2020.
A great seafood dish perfect for summer, the flavours are simple yet complex. Best served with fresh bread and some chopped parsley on top of the mussels
250 ml Rietvallei Classic Sauvignon blanc 2020
1 stick of lemongrass, bruised
1kg fresh mussels per person
1 small onion, chopped
500 ml cream
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1. First you have to clean the mussels by removing the beards and wash the outside of the shell properly to remove any dirt.
2. In a medium-sized pan, fry the onions in the butter, add the lemongrass and lemon juice, now add the cream and bring to a boil for 2-3min, season to taste with salt and pepper, then reduce heat back to a simmer.
3. Separately, take a large pot and put it on high heat with the lid on for 4-5 minutes until smoking hot.
4. Drop all the mussels in the pot, add the wine, put the lid on, and steam until all the mussels open up, remove the ones that have not opened, and discard.
5. Transfer the mussels into the pan containing the sauce, If you like you can add some of the mussel cooking liquid to thin out the sauce.