Caramelized Onions & Goats Cheese Tartlets
Caramelized Onions & Goats Cheese Tartlets paired with Rietvallei JMB Cabernet Franc 2016.
These red wine caramelized onion and goats cheese puff pastry tartlets are easy to make, elegant, and simply delicious.
3 onions (thinly sliced)
3 Tbsp olive oil
250 mL Rietvallei Shiraz
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3-4 sprigs thyme leaves
Salt & black pepper to taste
1 Roll frozen puff pastry
200 grams of goat cheese (25g per tartlet)
- Heat the oil in a pan on low heat and fry the onions until softened but not browned, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add ½ the red wine and deglaze the pan, allowing all the liquid to slightly reduce, this takes about 5 min.
3. Add the sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the remainder of the red wine and once again continue cooking and stirring until the liquid has reduced.
5. Place your puff pastry sheets on a floured surface and cut out the circles to the desired size. You could also cut the pastry into 4 x squares. This way you better optimize the pastry sheet with no wastage through offcuts. This recipe makes 8 tartlets that are 8cm in diameter.
6. Score the inside of the pastry with a small cookie cutter or a knife, but don’t cut all the way through, to make a small rim.
7. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and press down on the inner circle piece so that it drops down, it should come away where you have scored it, and fill each pastry case with the caramelized onion.
9. Top with the goat’s cheese (you can either crumble this or cut it into discs), scatter over fresh thyme leaves and return to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.