Roast Duck Breast and Chimichurri
Have you ever had a perfectly roasted, mouthwatering, golden crispy duck breast? Well, now you can make it at home. Perfectly paired with our Rietvallei Estéanna Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot 2016. A pairing made in heaven. The Chimichurri sauce works great, bringing fresh and vibrant flavours to this dish.
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons oregano
3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
- Score the skin of the duck breast, this essential for achieving crispy skin. Try not to cut into the meat, only focus on scoring the skin.
2. Before cooking duck breast in the oven, sear skin-side down in an oven-safe pan over moderately high heat for 6 – 10 minutes. Continuously ladle out rendered fat while duck breast cooks. You’ll know it’s ready for roasting when the skin is thin, golden, and crispy.
3. Rapidly brown the meat side. This step should take 15 to 30 seconds depending on the temperature of the pan.
4. Roast duck breast in the oven. Cook skin side up, this step should take 5 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and then cover the oven-roasted duck breast loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut and serve with chimichurri. Sauce directions are below.
5. To make chimichurri, combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, and vinegar in food processor or mortar and pestle. Salt and pepper to taste. transfer to a serving bowl and add olive oil.