Try our amazing sun dried tomato pesto pasta recipe .
- 340 grams pasta
- 200 to 250 gram jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta until Al dente (roughly 8 to 10 min). Drain but reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a blender add the sun-dried tomatoes with the oil in the jar, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and basil. Blend well together then transfer the tomato mixture to a large bowl and stir in the Parmesan.
- Add the pasta to the bowl containing the pesto mixture and toss to coat, add enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Try our crowd-pleaser Muscadel Cocktails with the Rietvallei Muscadel.
Prep Time 20 mins
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 4 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup Muscadel
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 15 ml white rum
- 1 fresh lime thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Rinse, hull, and slice the strawberries until you have 1 cup. Squeeze the fresh lime juice and slice a fresh lime for the garnish.
- Pull out the frozen strawberries from the freezer and let them thaw just for a minute or two.
- Place the fresh strawberries, muskadel, lime juice, and rum in a blender and blend until very smooth, then gradually blend in the frozen strawberries until no chunks remain.
- Pour the daiquiri into hurricane glasses and garnish the rims with fresh lime and strawberry slices. Serve immediately.
- Use fresh and frozen strawberries for the best flavour and texture.
- Adjust the amount of muscadel, lime juice, and rum to taste. You might need to add more muscadel if the berries aren’t as sweet
- Squeeze your ow lime juice with a citrus press for the best flavour. Warm the limes in the microwave to help them yield the most juice.
- Make the drink ahead of time and freeze it. Take it out of the freezer about 30-45 minutes ahead of time and break it up with a fork until slushy, then serve.
Raspberry and Cranberry Mojito
Prep Time: 5 mins
Serving : 1 drink
- Make the drink ahead of time and freeze it. Take it out of the freezer about 30-45 minutes ahead of time and break it up with a fork until slushy, then serve
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 125ml Muscadel
- 1/4 cup of Cranberry juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice approx.
- 1/2 cup club soda or sparkling mineral water
- In a tall glass, add raspberries, mint leaves and the muscadel
- Muddle (squish with the back of a wooden spoon) well until the mint, muscadel and raspberries are well-combined. Try not to break apart the mint leaves, as this will make for a less pleasant drinking experience.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add Cranberry juice, then the lime juice, and then fill with soda.
- Garnish with lime wedge or additional raspberries, if desired.
Berry and Muscadel Cocktail
Prep time: 5 min
- ½ cup fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and/or sliced strawberries)
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 125ml Muscadel
- 15 ml Absolut vodka
- 15ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ice, crushed or cubes
- club soda
- additional berries for garnish, (optional)
- Muddle (squish with the back of a wooden spoon) the berries and basil in a tall glass.
- Pour in the lemon juice, vodka and Muscadel.
- Add as much ice as desired.
- Top off the glass with club soda.
- Stir and garnish with additional fresh berries, if desired. Enjoy!
Enjoy our divine Apple Crostata recipe.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4-5 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter in a large bowl. Mix everything together, until the dough has crumby texture.
- Combine water and vanilla extract together in a small bowl then stir it into flour mixture.
- Cover the bowl containing the dough with plastic wrap, leave for 30 min in the fridge.
- Toss apples with sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200°C cover baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out into a large circle on a pre-floured work surface, you can make the crust as thick or thin as you prefer. Transfer to the baking tray, then arrange apple slices in a circular fashion working from the center out making that beautiful circular pattern, leaving a small border all around. Fold up border over apples, pinching together slightly.
- Combine 1 ½ Tbsp sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake apple crostata in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown which should take roughly 30 to 40 min.
Enjoy our delicious Honey Ginger Sesame Chicken.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- Mix together the soy sauce, honey, oyster sauce and ginger.
- Marinate the cubed chicken in the sauce. Fry with olive oil in a sauté pan or wok on high heat (2 – 3 min).
- Serve with steamed vegetables or rice, sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken as a finishing touch.
Enjoy our delicious gourmet butter chicken recipe.
- 500g deboned chicken, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbps Rajah flavourful and mild curry powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp canola oil or olive oil
Butter Chicken Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp grated ginger
- 3 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp garam masala
- In a medium-sized bowl. Combine the Rajah curry powder, ginger, garlic, smoked paprika, and yogurt. Whisk everything together until smooth. Add the chicken and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
Butter Chicken Sauce:
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, grated ginger, and crushed garlic, and let cook for 2-3 min. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn. Add the can of crushed tomatoes along with the chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and smoked paprika. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, if the mixture starts bubbling rapidly, add about ¼ cup of water and continue to cook.
- Remove from heat, add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, you may need to add water to help it blend (up to ¼ cup).
- In a new clean pot, add your canola or olive oil over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken allow to cook for about 5-6 min, stirring as required to brown all sides. Add the butter chicken sauce to the pot and heat everything through. Once it starts to bubble, add the cream and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, give everything one last good stir, then remove from heat and serve over basmati rice or with naan bread on the side.
Enjoy our divine Whole Baked Lemon Garlic Fish.
700 to 800 g Kabeljou or Hake, deboned.
4 Tbsp butter
3 tsp crushed garlic
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp smoked or normal paprika
2 tsp Parsley/Thyme
salt and pepper to taste
asparagus washed and trimmed
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Combine the butter, lemon, garlic and herbs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly
- Place the fish and asparagus onto a large piece of foil, season with salt, pepper and smoked or normal paprika.
- Pour the garlic lemon butter sauce over the fish and asparagus and top the fish with lemon slices, completely remove the skin/white sides of the lemon so the fish doesn’t get a bitter taste. Wrap the fish and asparagus in foil, so its completely covered.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the fish and asparagus are cooked.
Serve with rice or French fries.
Try our delicious Honey Soy Sautéed Duck with chili
4 duck breasts
5 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp crushed or freshly diced ginger
1 red chilli sliced and de-seeded
½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce (optional)
3 ½ Tbsp honey
½ tsp smoked or normal paprika
1-2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup of rice for serving
1. Score the duck skin with a sharp knife. Try not to cut through the meat.
2.Heat a large cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the breasts, skin-side down, and cook for 6 to 7 min or until the skin is golden brown and the fat has rendered.
- Season duck with salt and pepper then flip the duck around. Allow to cook for 2-3min or longer depending on your preference.
4. Remove from skillet or pan and allow to rest.
5. Leaving the skillet / pan on medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chillies to the pan and cook for 1 or 2 min until fragrant.
6. Add the stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, paprika and lime juice. Allow to simmer until the sauce has reduced by half.
7. Slice the duck into thin slices and serve over cooked rice. Drizzle over the sauce and serve. You can add finely sliced spring onion, chillies and cucumber for decoration and to add more texture. Sprinkle over sesame seeds for extra texture.
Try our delicious whipped Chardonnay butter with baked snoek
1 whole snoek, cleaned, cut open and salted
1 bottle of Rietvallei Classic Chardonnay
250g butter, softened
Spring onions, chopped
1. In a pot on medium-heat, add the bottle of chardonnay and let it reduce down until you have 100ml, set aside and allow to cool.
2. Whip the butter in a bowl on high speed if using a machine, until it’s white and fluffy, slowly add the cooled wine to the butter until combined, season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Defrost the snoek in the fridge overnight if frozen, place on a large baking tray and splash with oil and grind some black pepper on top. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15minutes or until cooked. This will depend on the size of the snoek.
4. When the snoek comes out of the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes then spoon the chardonnay butter on top and sprinkle with chopped spring onions.
Alternatively you can also braai the snoek on the fire – all depends on season and taste
Try our delicious Beef Cacciatore with Estéanna Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot
3kg stewing beef of your choice (we used shin)
1 large onion, large chunks
1 red pepper, large chunks
2 carrot, large chunks
1 pack button mushrooms, whole
1 pack black pitted olives
5 anchovy fillets
50g tomato paste
2 small tins chopped tomatoes
250ml Rietvallei Cabernet Sauvignon
3 cloves garlic, sliced
500ml beef stock
3 large sprigs thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the beef in a pan with olive oil or use fatty beef and render the fat.
- Add the onions and fry until golden brown, then add the carrots and the the red wine to de glaze the pan, add the garlic, anchovy, peppers, mushrooms, stocks, tomato paste, olives and herbs to the pot. Cook for 5min.
- Now add the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil. Place the pot withmlid, or place in an oven proof dish with foil on 160 deg for about 3 hours depending on the meat used. Check every hour for iquid. Make sure the meat is nice and tender. If need be reduce the liquid by removing the lid or on the stove top until the sauce gets nice and thick.
- Check the seasoning and serve on cooked baby potatoes, rice or any starch of your choice.
Try our rich and decadent dark chocolate and red wine hot chocolate recipe.
500ml full cream milk
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
10ml Rietvallei Shiraz
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Heat the milk in a pot on medium heat until it’s simmering. Add the sugar and chocolate chunks, stir until smooth.
2. Turn off the heat and add the red wine, pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Stir together.
3. Pour into individual cups and top with marshmallows and a sprinkle of cacao powder.